Wednesday, my day off and so I went to work. I would probably have just wasted the day away anyway, possums, as I find myself feeling a little aimless, and a little out of sorts,but anyway, enough of that. I didn't come here to talk about myself....
.....much.
In their unfathomable wisdom, the hobgoblins in the transport department decided to mess with my sense of balance recently and determined that the 2** bus that once used to end it's run out of the city in our rather nice little leafy suburb shall now change to the "2**-BOUND FOR SHITEVILLE SOUTHWEST" bus and keep running on further-out in a south-westerly direction to not-as-leafy and not-nearly-as-nice suburbs. Hence, what was once quite a relaxing and visually pleasing bus ride along King William Road, through Hyde Park and such, has been enlivened somewhat by the presence of the good people of SHITEVILLE SOUTHWEST.
Today, I was fortunate to have some of them have as traveling companions. My giddy aunt, possums, I wasn't sure what was making my eyes water and the rest of me gag... the stench of the unwashed, overlaid by alcohol fumes or the all-permeating, tongue-coating miasma of stale cigarettes? Who could tell?
They loudly made fun of the man sitting in front of me because he formed all his vowels and consonants while talking in a moderately quiet voice on his cell phone.
They made fun of me because I was holding a book and could obviously read it.
They made stupid, offensive comments to young school girls.
One of the most offensive amongst them, it turned out, was actually a female herself who announced to her friends in a whisper loud enough so everyone on the bus became aware that she was so looking forward to getting somewhere and couldn't wait to "score some sh*t and get meself f*ck*d right up."
I have issues. We know this. Just ask my kids. If I had my way, I'd never go west of Goodwood Road. Don't ask me why...
Maybe it's because of this:
I grew up near SHITEVILLE SOUTWEST but never really felt I fit in anywhere....and it was much nicer back then.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
All aboard.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oh shreik!! just divine photo worth a thousand words dear Bella.
'On The Buses' TV series could do with a revival - not comedy but drama/thriller MA15+ rating.
You wonder what the numbskull was thinking when he decided the postcodes needed to comingle.
Good Luck tomorrow.
Hehe. One of my criteria when we were buying our current house was that I wouldn't look West of Goodwood road. How funny. Sounds like quite a scary bus ride. Further supports my decision not to do buses!
"...the stench of the unwashed, overlaid by alcohol fumes or the all-permeating, tongue-coating miasma of stale cigarettes..."
Sounds like my house on Sunday mornings.
But the adventure... the REAL adventure.... of course I can write this... and NOT travel downtown to the Olympics, says me Ms Doublestandard.
It's when they try so hard to fit into Shiteville that the standards just by-pass the gutter straight into the sewer.
Brownie,
It's all good,. The great unwashed, it seems, don't travel at the same time as the nine-to-fivers do. Something to do with employment and not caring for it.
Seriously, I'm not a complete snob - except, perhaps, when it comes to cheese - and I recognise that we have a whole generation(s) out there that appear to have fallen through the cracks and have missed and continue to miss out on many opportunities.
It makes me sad for them.
Ali,
lol...what is it about Goodie Road? Seriously though, I quite like the bus ride through Hyde Park...the bus goes so slow it's window-shopping time for me...
Briah,
You forgot to mention the smell of the morning fry up which changes it all to summat quite cosy, really.
Plus the lovely cups of tea.
Deanna,
Oh go on. You know you want to. Double standards are better than none, after all....
Jayne,
Too true.
Post a Comment