Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Strike Two....

Everyone's whingeing about the teachers going on strike today.
Listen here, State/Federal Governments, just give them the bloody payrise they're after - we can afford it after all - so that they can get back to the job of teaching Noise and Pencils the stuff they need to know, six hours a day for 40-odd weeks a year.

(Of course, I don't include Noise's home group/english teacher in that. Vicious old bat - 67 years old, hanging on like grim death to her government job and failing dismally to perform. I wish she's stfu already and fall off the perch.
Of course I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

Can you imagine the stress involved in spending that much time with other people's kids each day? Given that the rules in schools these days mostly apply to the teachers and not the students it seems - then add to that having to listen to people banging on about "kids these days can't read or write anyhow". My children can, possibly because (a) they've had some really good teachers and (b) I read to them when they were little and always bought them books - as well as nintendos and assorted techno-crap - and to this day take them to the library once a week.

The way I see it, if kids aren't learning well enough these days, it's got more to do with the way the government/education department keep stuffing around with the curriculum than anything the teachers aren't doing properly.

Still, it would be nice if today was used as this term's "pupil free day".....

Happy Sleep-In Day Teachers!

3 comments:

Brian Hughes said...

Bella,

I one hundred per cent support your view.

At least I would do if the haunting images of the evil twats who taught me at school wasn't so vivid in my mind. Of course, times are different now. For a start it's illegal for a teacher to nail their pupils to the blackboard or pull out their fingernails with tweezers. But still...childhood memories are hard to shake off.

JahTeh said...

Just the thought of teaching kids all day sends me into a deep depression.

Ozfemme said...

Brian,
Were you taught by catholic nuns too?... I have some ghastly memories of that particular vicious breed of Christ-Brides...

Jahteh
I agree. Having spent some time tearing my hear out trying to get my 13 year old son to listen to anything I have to say I can't imagine what life would be like if every day meant facing them in numbers with the same task at hand.
This is why I think we should take care of them. Well, the good ones anyway.